Trustees are required by law to seek appropriate advice before exercising their power of investment and to review the investments periodically. The Trustee Act 2000 imposes various duties on trustees including a statutory ‘duty of care’ and a duty to obtain and consider proper advice when reviewing trust investments or making or varying investments.
In addition to observing the statutory duty of care, the Act further demands that when exercising a power of investment trustees must:
- Obtain and consider proper advice
- Have regard to the need for diversification and the suitability of the proposed investments to the trust (known as the ‘standard investment criteria’)
- Periodically review the trust investments
Gilbert Stephens Financial Services Limited are in an ideal position to provide that much needed sound advice. As we are a subsidiary company to Gilbert Stephens LLP our Advisers have a vast wealth of experience in dealing with this type of business, working closely with Professional Partners who act as Trustees and assisting them in complying with their duties.
When providing advice on Trustee Investments our Independent Financial Advisers will consider the following areas:
- The needs and requirements of the different beneficiaries, for example, income for the life tenant versus capital for the remaindermen
- Attitude to investment risk of the Trustees
- The charging structure and product charges based on the value of the trust fund
- Tax status of the beneficiaries, trustees and settler where relevant.
Why choose us?
It is essential that the Trustees carry out regular reviews of the trust investments, considering not just performance but also a review of the overall investment strategy as the needs of the beneficiaries will often change. At Gilbert Stephens Financial Services Limited we offer an ongoing review service to help Trustees meet this obligation, also all investment advice is confirmed in writing to assist trustees meeting the requirement of an audit trail.
Please get in touch
E-mail: ku.oc1550344984.sfsn1550344984ehpet1550344984streb1550344984lig@s1550344984f1550344984 or contact one of our team.